In today’s media-hungry world the odd yet appropriate term “Twitter” has rapidly grown to global popularity. According to wikipedia.com it is defined as:
“…a free social networking and micro-blogging service that enables its users to send and read messages known as ‘tweets’.”
As a result of its level of recognition now reaching to the heights of Facebook, Myspace, and “blogging”, we wanted to know what Twitter could do for your business and your Web site’s search engine rankings. Well, here are a few key elements we discovered:
1) LINKS WON’T WORK – perhaps the most used SEO practice of Twitter is the link directed to your home site. Unfortunately, Twitter adds a “no follow” attribute to links submitted by its users. The ONLY search engine that recognizes these links is Ask.com which is certainly no Google.
2) KEYWORDS – Twitter, along with Youtube, Slideshare, and Linkedin are sites most likely to land top-5 search results on all searches. Your tweeting can land you in one of these top-5 slots if you play your cards right. As a business, we should always be aiming to take as many top-spots as possible, even if it’s not our official home page!
3) FREQUENCY – According to digital marketing site Econsultancy.com, the knowledge exchange company on the web Mahalo.com integrate Twitter as a part of its business where users could tweet questions and receive answers through their Twitter account. Within 8 months they had 54,000 tweets and climbed to the number three spot on Google for the search term “answers”. Figure out how to increase your tweets and you can see the same thing happen.
4) USER NAME – Just like your domain name, your Twitter username has a large part to do with optimization on major search engines. Choose wisely.
5) BIO – The bio that you provide of your business or personal page is frequently indexed by major search engines. Choose your core key words well and make the most of the 160 characters you have to “sell” your business/twitter to the world.
If you would like to know more about how to increase optimization of your site and/or would like a free evaluation of your existing Web site, give us a call or fill out our form online today.